Posts by Jeromy Deibler

Posts by Jeromy Deibler

Monday, September 14, 2009

All in a Day

My friend and spiritual director while we were living in Africa was a gentle Zimbabwean man named Don Barnett. During many of our sessions Don and I would sit on the back porch of our cottage and be quiet and listen for the Lord's voice. He told me that experience without reflection is worthless. So we would reflect and be quiet. Tonight, as I reflect on today, I realize that so much life was lived today and without a conscious effort it would just fold over into tomorrow without ever being processed.

I woke up this morning with a sore throat, Jennifer hadn't slept much last night so she stayed in bed a while longer. She says she has her days and nights mixed up. Sadie-Claire also complained of an ouwee in her neck so I gave her some infants Advil before breakfast. Afterward Hutch spent some time doing home-school work at the dining room table while I answered emails. Then I went out to the garage to make room for the new Jeep we found on Craigslist to pull behind our RV.

My friend Mark Carter delivered our Jeep from Missouri at 11am. Mark and his family have been our friends for 14 years. He brought FFH to North Carolina to play at a church he was pastoring in 1995. We've stayed in touch since then and have become very close friends. So close that when he and Bonnie had their youngest child, a son, they named him Jeromy Bryan Carter, after me. A year ago this past spring Mark and Bonnie's two daughters, Kayla and Elicia, died in a fatal car accident near their home in Paris MO. The girls, 17 and 18 at the time, were vibrant and full of life and their hearts were for Jesus. When I'm with Mark I'm astounded at how he and Bonnie have walked through this. Jesus has given them a special grace and they are able to experience unexplainable joy through the process. Mark and I talked about that, and life, and sin, as I drove him into Nashville for a youth workers conference. Hutch slept in the backseat as we talked.

Hutch and I arrived back at home in Franklin just in time for a 3 hour management/publicity/web stuff meeting. Most of which was over my head so I just munched on peaches and asked a lot of questions.

After the meeting we took a ride in the new Jeep. First we drove through an instant oil change place where the guys made me feel guilty for not upgrading to the expensive oil. Then we met Jennifer's sister Jannell and her husband Brian for Mexican food. Afterward we walked over to Kmart to buy Hutch some new Legos as a reward for being so quiet during the meetings. He's into these Bionicle things now. They're sort of creepy but he loves them.

We're home now and the kids have been asleep for about an hour. Jennifer went up to bed to chill and watch TV. She doesn't want to watch football. My brother-in-law, Cameron, just called to tell me that he and Shantell want to buy our mini-van. Now we just have to figue out how to get it to St Louis.

Most days if you were to ask me, "Hey, what did you do today?", I'd say "Nothin really". Today I reflect and know that's not true.

5 comments:

  1. I would love to spend an afternoon with your friends Mark and Bonnie. They sound amazing to be walking through such grief and hard times. Here I struggle with losing our baby girl 12 years ago..God has shown me that I have some grief I stuffed down inside that needs to be released (unfinished business). I'd love to hear about their journey as that is what it is to live an authentic life......life is messy for everyone at some point/s and we need to encourage each other how to move through it with Christ at the center. Tell them I think they are amazing and may God bless them and strengthen them further.....Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there.. so glad to see that you have a blog going! I'm looking forward to following you, but not in a stalker kinda way. hahahaha.

    I've been a fan of yours since 2001-ish.. when I began to really "reflect" on my relationship with the Lord. Your band played a huge role in that, so I thank you. In fact, in 2002 I came >.< that close to meeting you guys in person. You came to San Jose, CA for a show and stayed at the hotel I was then working at. I left a long letter for you guys explaining how much you touched my life with your ministry. Since that time, life has changed a lot for me but you are still holding strong in my memory.

    Blessings to you and your family. Thank you for sharing a part of your world with us. ::wink:wink::

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really take 'experience without reflection is worthless' as something important for my life. I know that many of us are missing the moments because of the minutes. We rush to the next thing instead of living the moment we are in.
    Lord, help me to remember that the next minute is not promised to me. Help me to see life as I'm living it. I don't know when it will end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God takes life and uses it to mold and create us... without those "bumps" we would not be who we are but more importantly as we listen to GOD and follow him we would not be what he wants us to be.
    I just wanted to say thank you for giving a special moment in time to my son several years ago.. in a Church in Bellevue Nebraska.. my youngest son (now 12 loved you guys and still holds that moment dear to his heart... )
    He still speaks of it today.
    Thank you!
    God is GOOD!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeromy -

    Thank you for sharing your life and your music. God uses you to touch so many lives. We are praying for your family and your ministry.

    ReplyDelete